Friday, July 4, 2008

birds show themselves, cicadas emerge

Was trying to catch a plane to some other country (Germany?), but I found myself at this house full of people I knew in high school, but hadn't seen in a very long time. I kept feeling like I needed to catch up, and kept missing my departure time.

I stepped outside to leave and found myself standing at the base of a mountain. I looked into the sky and two very large crows flew into a pine tree. Followed by bleeding-heart doves, shoebills, sparrows, woodpeckers. I was so happy! Further in the hills, a bear stumbled by.


I walked away and found myself at the door to my dead grandmother's house. The cicadas had emerged, and the sound was overwhelming. They were everywhere, in every stage of breeding & dying. Pokey, my parents' dachshund, was there to pick up the dying ones and eat them. I could hear their muffled cries in his jaws.



I remembered a trick I learned on a nature program: if you snap your fingers, the male (loud) cicadas will think it's a female and come to you. I snapped, and there was a male in the air who dipped down toward me. However, there was a HUGE spiderweb (which was very long like a Japanses scroll) between us, and the cicada was caught.

I didn't see the spider who wove it, but I knew it had to be a truly magnificent one. I saw a very colorful moth the size of a crow in the web, too. The markings looked Aztec. Very vivid.

I saw more of these moths very high in the air. They drifted down slowly down towards me among the cicadas.

No comments:

Post a Comment